The Virginia Beach Court Service Unit accepts both volunteers and interns. Internships are reserved for seniors with major studies in criminal justice or related fields who require a minimum of 150 hours for credit. An interview, application and extensive background check, both criminal and child protective services, will be required of all potential volunteers/interns. Applicants must have no criminal record, no cases pending before any court and must be at least 21 years of age. Volunteer opportunities are listed below. Not all positions may have openings at the time of application.
- ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR – Maintain monthly reports, volunteer files, arrange and conduct tours of juvenile facilities. Assist in the planning and execution of special events, volunteer recognition and fund raising events. Computer skills are helpful. COMMITMENT – one morning a week.
- CLERICAL ASSISTANT – Provide clerical support to the CSU by answering phones, greeting clients, performing typing duties, office responsibilities and other clerical tasks as needed. COMMITMENT – one or two days per week.
- COURT ASSISTANTS – Assist the Judge during court hearings, record summary information, complete forms and escort families to the probation department. COMMITMENT – one day per week from 8:30 to 2:00.
- DESIGN A VOLUNTEER JOB – If you have an idea for using your particular skills, call 385-4426 for an appointment to discuss it.
- FAMILY ADVOCACY NETWORK SERVICES – Contact victims of family violence to provide information, support, and referrals and help the victim navigate the legal system. COMMITMENT – one or two mornings per week.
- PROBATION AIDE – Duties will vary but may include contact with client and parents, detention reviews, “Think Tank” sessions, collateral contacts with schools and therapists, complete social histories and/or YASI. COMMITMENT – Flexible, however, Probation Aides must be responsible for meeting time constraints once duties are assigned.
Please call 757-385-4426 and ask for the volunteer coordinator.